Friday, September 11, 2009

Motor Row Historic District - V [ Lofts]

For more on .. Motor Row Historic District, click here..

Locomobile Lofts ..
Former locomobile showrooms ..
Address: 2000 South Michigan Avenue ..
Completed: 1909
Architects: Jenny, Mundie & Jensen ..

The building still displays the name of the company "Locomobile" for which it was built and which occupied it till 1929. It is one of the first loft conversions conversions in the Motor Row District. It's by the Lyonhart Group. This three story building was converted in 2004 into 33 loft condominiums.

Motor Row Lofts ..
Former Cadillac and Saxon automobile showrooms ..
2301-2312 South Michigan Avenue ..
Completed: 1911 - 1915
Architect: Holabird & Roche ..

The Motor Row Lofts, combines three adjacent buildings on South Michigan Avenue in the heart of the Motor Row Historic District. Alfred Cowles, the original developer, hired Chicago architecture firm of Holabird and Roche to design all three buildings.

The Cadillac Building at the corner was built in 1911. Its white glazed terra cotta and five story design defined the character and significance of the entire Motor Row District. The adjacent Cowles and Saxon Buildings added in 1915. Alfred Cowles building features artistic brickwork and lively multicolored terra cotta .. While Saxon Building is like a slender jewel box .. All these buildings have oversized windows that were essential for the display of automobiles and also brought in natural light ..

The residential conversion of these historic buildings is designed by Chicago architecture firm Bauhs Dring Seglin ..

Lofts on the Row ..
2332 S Michigan Avenue ..
Loft conversions by Graceland Development ..

For more on .. Motor Row Historic District .. click here ..

No comments: