Thursday, September 3, 2009
Prairie Avenue Historic District: Glessner House
Glessner House ..
Address: 1800 S. Prairie Ave.
Year Built: 1886
Architect: Henry Hobson Richardson
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: October 14, 1970 ..
In 1885 John and Frances Glessner purchased land in the Prairie Avenue, "the sunny street of the sifted few". Prairie Avenue was home to many Chicago rich-n-famous like Marshall Field, Phillip Armour and George Pullman. Glessner hired Boston based architect Henry Hobson Richardson to design his home which resulted in this imposing mansion completed in 1887 ...
For more images and details, please check out the other post Glessner House - II, click here ..
# designated a National Historic landmark in 1976 ..
# designated a Chicago Landmark: October 14, 1970 ..
" John J. Glessner House has been designated a National Historic Landmark . This site possess national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America.
1976. National Park Service .. United States Department of Interiors."
John J. Glessner House
Henry Hobson Richardson, architect ..
A mature Richardson design, Glessner House is famous for its site development, innovative floor plan and rugged Romanesque facade. Glessner House, a reminder of the fabulous Prairie Avenue era, is the only remaining Chicago building by this renowned architect.
Designated a Chicago Landmark on October 14, 1970 ..
by the City Council of Chicago
Richard J. Daley, Mayor.
Commission on Chicago Historical and Architectural Landmarks .."
Continued Glessner House - II .. click here ..
For more on ..
The Prairie Avenue Historic District .. click here ...