|Auditorium Building - Outer Lobby|
The Outer Lobby..
The main entrance to the theater is located right below the Auditorium Building's 17th floor tower. In 1889, the outer box office lobby extended to the exterior walls, which included heating and ventilation grills around the column bases. In 1850's Congress Parkway was expanded and an exterior sidewalk was installed along the Auditorium Building's front facing the Congress parkway. This process destroyed , half of the box-office lobby, the ladies resturant and men's cafe.
The marble mosaic floors were designed by Louis Sullivan in cooperation with Healy & Millet..
Sic arched art glasses are located above the doors leading to the main lobby. These are designed by George Healy and Louis Millet. The inspiration are debatable. Though some claim that these are allegorical representation of Wisdom, Oratory, Drama, Music, Poetry and Dance, announcing the theatre’s varied purposes.
For more on the art glasses.. click here..
# Auditorium Theater : Chicago Landmark bldg.
# Auditorium Theater - The Foundation..
# Auditorium Theater - The Outer Lobby..
# Auditoirum Theater - The Democratic Theater..
# Auditorium Theater - Gold Leaf Spandrels..
# Auditorium Theater - Murals..
# Auditorium Theater- Grand Stairways..
# Auditorium Theater- Art Glasses..
Post a Comment