The Fourth Presbyterian Church ...
Address: 126 E. Chestnut Street, Chicago, Illinois 60611 ...
Architect: Ralph Adams Cram, America’s leading Gothic revival architect, best known for his work on the world’s largest Gothic cathedral, the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York City .
The parish house, cloister, manse, and garth were designed by prominent midwestern architect Howard Van Doren Shaw..
Founded: Feb, 1871 ...
was destroyed in the Great Chicago Fire of Oct. 1871 ...
The church opened for services in 1914 ...
Except for the Old Water Tower, Fourth Church is the oldest building on Michigan Avenue north of the Chicago River.
Just above the entrance door are the words..
The Master is here, And Colleth for Thee
Although the church was designed by Ralph Adams Cram, but the parish house, cloister, manse, and garth were designed by prominent midwestern architect Howard Van Doren Shaw. These were built at the same time as the church and dedicated in March 1914. The covered “cloister” separates the peaceful courtyard from the crowds and hubbub of Michigan Avenue.
It has a beautiful fountain in the center with the words..
For the Earth Shall Be
Filled with the knowledge
Of the Glory of the Lord
As the Water covers the Sea..
There is also a sculpture, "The Great Teacher", by Abbott Pattison.
Fountain, click here ..
Sculpture, "The Great Teacher" - by Abbott Pattison, click here ..