Holy Trinity Orthodox Cathedral ..
Address: 1121 N. Leavitt St.
Year Built: 1903
Architect: Louis H. Sullivan
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: March 21, 1979 ...
The church was commissioned by the growing Russian congregation of Chicago. Construction work, partly financed by Tsar St. Nicholas II of Russia, lasted from 1899 to 1903. The church retains many features of the Russian provincial architecture, including an octagonal dome and a frontal belltower. It is believed that the emigrants wished the church to be "remindful of the small, intimate, rural buildings they left behind in the Old World. The cathedral's interior is based on the St Volodymyr's Cathedral in Kiev.
The church was elevated to a cathedral in 1923, and stands today a proud member of the Orthodox community in Chicago
The walls of the church are load-bearing brick covered with stucco; the detailing of the two-story rectory repeats the same sinuous curve found in the roofline of the church.
# For more on the Ukranian Village.. click here..
# For churches, chaples and cathedrals in Chicago.. click here..
Post a Comment