Sunday, January 10, 2010
River North: [Former] Engine Company 42 Firehouse
[Former] Engine Company 42 Firehouse..
Location: 228 W. Illinois Avenue, at Franklin Street..
Designated a Chicago landmark on December 12, 2007..
The firehouse was built in 1887, and was initially the home of Engine 42. Since 1968, the building is no longer in use by the Fire Department ..
In 1964, Engine 42 had to be relocated to 202 E. Chicago [Eng. 98’s quarters, which was built in 1904] for a short period of time due to a fire in a building next door. The firehouse was fixed and remained open until November 1, 1968. Engine 42 was moved to a brand new firehouse at 55 W. Illinois Street, and is still there today. It’s the largest firehouse in the city. After the move, “228 W Illinois Ave” became a garage for the Dept. of Streets and Sanitation. The building is now privately owned...
# River North - II..