Sunday, January 10, 2010
River North: Chicago Varnish Company Building
Chicago Varnish Company Building ...
Address: 33 W. Kinzie St.
Year Built: 1895
Architect: Henry Ives Cobb
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: July 25, 2001 ...
The Chicago Varnish Co. Building was built in 1895 for a producer of varnishes for railroad cars, coaches, and interiors. The building was designed by architect Henry Ives Cobb, a nationally recognized architect. The building is distinctive for its use of the Dutch Renaissance revival style, with its stepped gables, steeply-pitched tile roof, and contrasting brick and stone masonry.
The current owner, Harry Caray's Restaurant, undertook an extensive rehabilitation, replacing the multi-gabled clay tile roof and rebuilding the stepped parapets ..
# River North - II ..
REF: Chicago Landmarks: Chicago Varnish Company Building ..
REF: Chicago Landmark Awards ..