Only two days, [July 4 & 5, 2011] of which..
Day One, was exclusively for the 4th of July parade and fire-works..
Day Two, was a bus-tour [Washington DC Hop-On-Hop-Off Open-Top Double-Decker Bus Tour].. and a whole lot of time was spent in trip to the
US Capitol Bldg., click here.. However, I did stop at the Union Station, knowing it was by "make-no-little-plan" Daniel Burnham, so was a must-see.. [He made the "Plan of Chicago" and also designed Chicago Union Station click here..] Washington DC Union Station is designated a National Historic Landmark [NHL].
Washington DC Union Station..
Architect: Daniel Burnham, assisted by Pierce Anderson..
Outstanding features include..
- Massive scale..
- Great vaulted loggia..
- Main Hall or Waiting Room with gilded coffered ceiling, marble, gold leaf, and white granite
- 26 centurions sculptures by Louis St. Gaudens, in the main hall..
- Facade with The Triumphal Arch [The Central Section of the Station]
- 6 sculptures, titled, "The Progess of Railraoding" by Louis St. Gaudens, atop the cornice of the central section of the facade..
- Louis St. Gaudens was the brother of renowned sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens. Louis changed the spelling of his name to St. Gaudens to differentiate himself from his well-known brother.
- Christopher Columbus Memorial Fountain, by Lorado Taft....
- Two Weeks Summer Vacation [Trip to New York City, Washington DC, New Jersey and Philadelphia]..
The Christopher Columbus Memorial Fountain by Lorado Taft..