Thursday, January 29, 2009

Ukranian Village District





Top Image:
Red brick two-and-three family flats in the Ukrainian Village ...

Left :
A welcome sign in the Ukrainian Village ...

The Ukrainian Village has been designated as a Chicago Landmark District neighborhood ..

Ukranian Village District ...
Year Built: 1886-1920s
Architects: Various
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: December 4, 2002 ...
Addresses: Haddon Avenue, Thomas Street, and Cortez Street between Damen and Leavitt Avenues, including portions of Damen, Hoyne and Leavitt Avenues ..

The Ukrainian Village has been designated as a Chicago Landmark District neighborhood ... It's nestled into a thirty-two square block area of the city's West Town. While largely a residential area, and contains an excellent cross-section of residential building types that provides a visual history of immigration settlement on Chicago's Near West Side. One that tells the story of German, Polish, and, ultimately, Ukrainian immigrants who settled in the area throughout the late 1800s and early 1900s. Ukrainian Village retains much of the character of a European community. Tree lined streets, small bungalows, as well as red-brick two-and three-flats, are the predominant architectural styles ..









Left ... A restaurant in Ukrainian Village with the colors of the Ukrainian flag ...

Nearly one out of every three of the buildings in the district was developed by the early influential Chicago real estate developer William D. Kerfoot. The first real estate developer to reestablish his business after the Great Fire in 1871, Kerfoot became the embodiment of the "I Will" spirit of Chicago. He reopened his office the day after the fire ended with a sign on his door reading: "W.D. Kerfoot. All gone but, wife, children and energy."

REFERENCES:
Chicago's Ukrainian Village .. Newsletter of Ukranian National Museum of Chicago ...
A tale of Two Villages: Ukrainian Village & East Village..



Holy Trinity Orthodox Cathedral ..
Address: 1121 N. Leavitt St ...(between Haddon Ave & Thomas St)
Chicago, IL 60622 ..
Year built: 1903
Architect: Louis H. Sullivan ..
Designated a Chicago Landmark ... March 21, 1979 ..
For more on .. Holy Trinity Orthodox Cathedral ... click here ...



Saint Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral ...
Address: 2238 W Rice Street ..
Completed: 1915
Architect: I.G. Steinbach ..
Saint Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral is a masterpiece of Neo-Byzantine baroque art and architecture ...
For more on .. Saint Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral ... click here ...

* By 1930, Saint Nicholas Cathedral was the center of the Ukrainian neighborhood south of Wicker Park ... In 1969 St. Nicholas parish switched from the traditional Julian calendar to the Gregorian, which sparked an angry protest among traditionalists in the congregation. A dissenting group of parishioners broke away and started their own church, Sts. Volodymyr and Olha Parish. During the first five years of its existence the parish conducted its service in St. Volodymyr Ukrainian Orthodox Church. The new parish can be credited with revitalizing Ukrainian Community life and stabilizing the Village at a time when many Ukrainians were moving to the suburbs.



Saints Volodymyr and Olha Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral ...
Address: 2245 W. Superior St. Chicago, IL 60612 ..
Completed: 1973.
Architect: Jaroslav Korsunsky of Minneapolis ...
Stunning Byzantine Ukrainian style architecture of 11-13th century Ukraine.
For more on ... Saints Volodymyr and Olha Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral ... click here ...



St. Volodymyr Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral ..
Address: 2230 W. Cortez
(between Leavitt St & Oakley Blvd)
Chicago, IL 60622 ..
More information would be much appreciated ...
For more St. Volodymyr Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral .. click here ...



St. John Cantius Roman Catholic Church ...
Address: 825 N. Carpenter St. ..Chicago, IL 60642 ..
Completed: 1898
Architect: Adolphus Druiding ..
It is a prime example of the so-called 'Polish Cathedral style' of churches ..
For more on .. Saint John Cantius Roman Catholic Church ... click here ...



St. Boniface Church ...
Address: 1358 W. Chestnut Street
Completed: 1904
Architect: Henry J. Schlacks
It is one of the "Chicago Seven" list of "endangered places", issued by the Preservation Chicago annual list, 2009.
For more on .. St. Boniface Church ... click here ...

..

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

St Boniface Church - faces demolition battle...



Click on the image for enlarged view ....

St. Boniface Church ...
Address: 1358 W. Chestnut Street
Completed: 1904
Architect: Henry J. Schlacks ..
St. Boniface is colored-coded orange in the Commission on Chicago Landmarks Historic Resources Survey: “…a structure possessing historical and architectural distinction in the context of the immediate community.”



The church has not been in use since 1989 ...
Now it's in a subject of a contentious struggle between the Chicago archdiocese and preservationists ... Roman Catholic archdiocese wants to tear down the church, whereas the Preservation Chicago, seeks to rescue this Romanesque building from the wreck. A group of Coptic Orthodox Christians said they wanted to purchase the remaining St. Boniface buildings but the archdiocese never took their offers. In Dec. 2008, the archdiocese asked the city for a permit to raze the building, saying the cost of transforming the structure would be prohibitive ... However, The demolition will not happen right away, because the parish is rated "Code Orange" which means, the archdiocese cannot proceed with demolition for 90 days while the city weighs its request. That delay gives preservationists and religious organizations time to step in and save the building now priced at more than $2 million.

Read more: St. Boniface Church ..at center of battle over Chicago archdiocese razings ..



St. Boniface Church was established for German immigrants in 1865. With roots in Chicago history that predate the great Chicago Fire of 1871, St. Boniface played an integral role in helping to reshape and rebuild its neighborhood and city by providing makeshift housing within the church buildings as well as clothing and meals for people whose homes had been destroyed in the conflagration ...



Built in Romanesque style, the church is defined by its three soaring bell towers. [The bells have been removed, since the church is no longer in use]... Their steeply pitched clay tile roofs makes it instantly recognizable for miles around. The base is made of rusticated ashlar block intersected by canted buttresses that extend down to the sidewalk. Detailing includes arcades, as well as intact rose window frames although their stained glass has long since been removed.



The history of the St. Boniface parish is significant as it provides insight into the social and political dynamics of the different immigrant communities who settled around Chicago Avenue and Noble Street from the 1860s to the present. St. Boniface fits within the historical and physical context of other formidable sights; The Northwestern Settlement House; Holy Trinity Church; St. Stanislaus Kostka Church; and St. John Cantius Church ...

# For more on the Ukranian Village.. click here..
# For churches, chaples and cathedrals in Chicago.. click here..

REF:
St. Boniface Church ..

St. George Orthodox Cathedral











St. George Orthodox Cathedral..
Address: 917 N Wood St [between Iowa St & Walton St]
Chicago, IL 60622 ..

This Russian Orthodox style was built in the 1930's. It's two onion domes symbolic of the belief in the Old and the New Testament..







St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral





St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral ..
Address: 2238 W Rice Street ..
Completed: 1915
Architect: I.G. Steinbach ..



Saint Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral is a masterpiece of Neo-Byzantine baroque art and architecture. A massive and powerful structure capped by 13 bronze domes with gold crosses representing Christ and His 12 Apostles. It was built in the architectural style of St. Sofia’s Church in Kyiv.

The steel superstructure of the edifice was a unique form of construction for the times. Massive stone supports were used together with the steel. The church stands 112 feet high. It is 136 feet long and 85 feet wide. The structure can accommodate over a thousand worshippers.





# For more on the Ukranian Village.. click here..
# For churches, chaples and cathedrals in Chicago.. click here..

REF:
Art and Architecture of St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral ...

Saints Volodymyr and Olha Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral ...



Click on the image for enlarged view ...

Saints Volodymyr and Olha Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral ...
Address: 2245 W. Superior St. Chicago, IL 60612 ..
Completed: 1973.
Architect: Jaroslav Korsunsky of Minneapolis ...

The architect employed the Byzantine Ukrainian style of 11-13th century Ukraine. During this period, Ukraine was under the cultural and religious influence of Byzantium. Churches of this style are traditionally cruciform, with the altar facing the East. The rounded gold dome, along with a strong preference for circular patterns?avoiding almost all angular designsis also typical of this style ...



I found some very intereting information on it's official website ... Sts Volodymyr and Olha Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral .. Excerpts from it ...

The colors employed, are meant to convey a message. Christ, for example, is portrayed in a burgundy robe covered by another blue robe. Burgundy here denotes royalty and, by extension, divinity while blue symbolizes humanity. Jesus is God before all ages, thus the burgundy undergarment. In His nativity, however, He takes on humanity; thus, the blue outergarment. With the Mother of God it is just the opposite. Mary is a human [blue undergarment], who takes on divinity in bearing the Son of God [burgundy outergarment] ....

Iconography is the term used when speaking of the paintings in the church. Since they are not painted for the sake of decoration or simple esthetic pleasure, they are not ordinary paintings. "Icon" in Greek means "image" of the world transfigured by the power of God. Viewers often note the abstraction of icons. This abstraction (e.g., a tampering with proportions and the composition of iconographic scenes) is usually an attempt to represent the otherness of the transfigured universe. The reality of which the saints partake is a transformed reality.






# For more on the Ukranian Village.. click here..
# For churches, chaples and cathedrals in Chicago.. click here..

Holy Trinity Orthodox Cathedral





Holy Trinity Orthodox Cathedral ..
Address: 1121 N. Leavitt St.
Year Built: 1903
Architect: Louis H. Sullivan
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: March 21, 1979 ...

The church was commissioned by the growing Russian congregation of Chicago ... Construction work, partly financed by Tsar St. Nicholas II of Russia, lasted from 1899 to 1903. The church retains many features of the Russian provincial architecture, including an octagonal dome and a frontal belltower. It is believed that the emigrants wished the church to be "remindful of the small, intimate, rural buildings they left behind in the Old World ...The cathedral's interior is based on the St Volodymyr's Cathedral in Kiev.

The church was elevated to a cathedral in 1923, and stands today a proud member of the Orthodox community in Chicago



The walls of the church are load-bearing brick covered with stucco; the detailing of the two-story rectory repeats the same sinuous curve found in the roofline of the church.



# For more on the Ukranian Village.. click here..
# For churches, chaples and cathedrals in Chicago.. click here..

St. Volodymyr Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral



St. Volodymyr Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral...
2252–2258 West Cortez Street ...Chicago, IL 60622

This is the Cathedral home of Chicago's Ukrainian Orthodox Community, which in Ukraine is by far the largest religious body, the Orthodox Church.





# For more on the Ukranian Village.. click here..
# For churches, chaples and cathedrals in Chicago.. click here..

Saint John Cantius Roman Catholic Church



Saint John Cantius Roman Catholic Church ...
Address: 825 N. Carpenter St.,Chicago, IL 60642 ..
Completed: 1898
Architect: Adolphus Druiding ..



The building has a façade of rusticated stone in the High Renaissance style which dictated the use of classical elements such as columns, capitals and arches. At the very top is a monumental pediment decorated with the coat of arms of Poland's failed January Uprising, under which is found the inscription "Boże Zbaw Polskę" (God Save Poland in Polish). Just below this on the entablature, is the Latin inscription "Ad maiorem Dei Gloriam", a text which proclaims that this building is for the Greater Glory of God, a Jesuit motto popular in many churches built around the turn of the century. Three Romanesque portals set in receding arches lead into the interior ...
The entrance is flanked by two asymmetrical towers topped with copper cupolas, 129 feet and 100 feet in height, styled after St. Mary's Basilica in Kraków.





# For more on the Ukranian Village.. click here..
# For churches, chaples and cathedrals in Chicago.. click here..

Monday, January 26, 2009

The Art Institute of Chicago





Click on the image for enlarged view ....

The Art Institute of Chicago ..
Address: 111 South Michigan Avenue ...
Completed: 1892
Architects: Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge [Boston firm]

Today, the museum is most famous for its collections of Impressionist, Post-Impressionist, and American paintings ...



Click on the image for enlarged view ...

A couple enjoying the famous painting "Nighthawks" by Edward Hopper ... in the Modern collection ...